Sunday, October 11, 2009

South Hills Annual Trail Series Race 3- Goat Pursuit

Distance: 6.6 mi
http://www.helenarunningclub.com/trailseries/home.html
My favorite of the whole trail series! But then I might be biased because this is the first race where I was able to set a course record, and it still stands. The race starts at the far end of the Mt. Helena Ridge Trail and runs toward town to the Dump Gulch Trail head. The first mile or so is a climb to the ridge and then it's downhill almost the whole way to the finish. The unique thing about this race is that it is run in a time trial format. Slowest person starts first, then every 30 seconds the next faster person starts. I like the fact that there is always someone ahead of you to pass. Cross your fingers for good weather because both the 2008 and 2009 races were snowy. My hat is off to the runners who started first in 2008 who had to break trail through a foot of untracked powder!
*disclaimer: I have helped put on this race in the past, though last year my help was limited to typing up the results*

No comments: